I did not complete The Big Hike.
Long story short: I had a bit of a nervous breakdown which could have been avoided. And I could still have walked on, but I decided against it.
Instead, I went to the trainstation, got a ticket to Vienna, and waited for the next train. I even met an interesting guy on the train. He too had just walked for a couple of days to get from nearby Vienna to Mariazell. He has done that already a few times, but keeps changing the routes to explore the area. We kept talking during the whole ride – and that’s more than 3 hours, mind you!
But: Postponed is not abandoned. I WILL walk those last onehundredandsomething kilometers. It just will have to wait until summer. Or at least until spring.